|Title||Trumbull County Historical Society Commemorative ornament|
Steel disk measuring 2 inches diameter. the front features and engraving of the John Stark Edwards House as it appeared when it stood on South Street in Warren, Ohio (prior to being moved to 309 Monroe St. NW Warren, Ohio in 1896). The edge is hammered in an irregular pattern. The back features an engraving that reads "Trumbull Historical Society" with the maker's mark at the bottom. The maker's mark features a metal worker in a circle, the words "Wendell August Forge" in a larger circle around the worker, and the words "Handmade Grove City, PA Berlin, OH' and a shape of an arrow outside the circle. The top of both sides has a hole for hanging the ornament. The box measures 2.5 x 3.5 inches, and has a navy blue top with ""Wendell August Gift Shoppe & Forge Est'd. 1925" in silver lettering on the lower right front corner. The bottom of the box is silver. This ornament has two inserts in the box. One is entitled "Unique Metal Giftware by Wendell August Gift Shoppe & Forge Est'd. 1925." It features blue lettering and sketches on a white background and is according folded. The second insert is entitled "John Stark Edwards House Trumbull County Historical Society" and features a sketch of the house as well as black lettering on a white background. The insert reads as follows:
"The John Stark Edwards House on South Street, S.E., is the oldest surviving structure in Warren.
The Structure was built in 1807 by John Stark Edwards who was probably the first lawyer in the Connecticut's Western Reserve. and the first appointed Recorder of Trumbull County. After his untimely death while hunting near Lake Erie the house was purchased by Thomas Denny Webb in 1813. Webb published the first newspaper in northern Ohio, called the 'Trump of Fame.' his family and descendants were responsible for the beautiful gardens. Even today the century style gardens surrounding the house are lovely. In the early 1930's William T. Iddings, the last Webb descendant to live in the house, left to live in New York state. the house stood empty for a few years.
The State of Ohio purchased the house in 1938. That same year it was certified for exceptional historic interest by the Historic American Building Survey and registered in the Library of Congress. The house serves as a museum of the period 1800 to 1840. It also is the meeting place of the Trumbull County Historical Society. It is a repository and library of early Trumbull County records and memorabilia.
The house was authenticated for a place on the Ohio Inventory in 1977 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places the following year.
Proceeds from the sale of this medallion will help support the restoration and preservation work of the Trumbull County Historical Society.
|Artist||Wendell August Forge|
|Number of images||7|
|Notes||donated for use on Christmas trees to be displayed in the National McKinley Birthplace Museum.|
|Year Range from||1980|
|Year Range to||1985|